25 W. Randolph. Ford Center for the Performing Arts/Oriental Theater. The Oriental Theater first opened in 1926 to much heraldry. Inspired by the architecture of India, patrons were led by turbaned ushers through the ornate lobby and onto the auditorium's hasheesh-dream decor. It fell into disrepair during the general economic decline of the 1970s and had to be closed in 1981, reopening in 1998 after a two-year restoration project.