Saturday, January 19, 2008

Guess I'll Go Elsewhere

My neighborhood supermarket, the 75 year old Hyde Park Co-op Grocery, closes today. I never thought I'd see the produce section empty like this. There'll be another store in place by the end of February. But for now, it'll have to be elsewhere for groceries...

*Many thanks to Fabrizio of Torino dp and Jim of Terrel dp for awarding me the You Made My Day award. Wow, it's so nice to get it--Thanks!

The award rules are: "Give the award to 10 people whose blogs bring you happiness and inspiration and make you feel happy about blogland. Let them know by posting a comment on their blog so they can pass it on. Beware you may get the award several times."

I'm giving it back to Fabrizio and Jim--thanks, guys! It's always great to visit your blogs. The other eight are: Dan in McKinney DP; Web-oj, of Kuwait dp, Eliane of NYC dp, Clueless and Slim of Quincy and Boston dps, R&R in the Netherlands dp, Sam of Port Elizabeth, Hdp in Hyderabad dp and Neva of Inverness dp...and... well, there are so many more but rules are rules...

7 comments:

  1. Those scales are so cool. Will the new store be a supermarket? I need one of those for my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a little sad when a favorite store closes, but maybe the new one will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sad post. I have to confess that before reading your commentary and really paying attention to the picture I thought it was an empty room with a billiard table. I know... ;)

    Thanks for the award, dear! Sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A shot like this always seems like the end of someone's dreams and hard work.....
    but on a brighter note, thanks for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BC, thanks for the award! I appreciate it. I have been in this grocery. I went to the Univ. of Chi. for a couple of years and I think this was in that area. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. BC, thanks for the award. It's always sad to say goodbye to a neighborhood fixture. Hopefully the new store will carry on their tradition of service to the area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jim, Clueless, Elaine, Sam, Dan and R&R for your comments.

    It's amazing how my entire routine and schedule has gone out of whack because of the store closing.

    And yes, am very sad about not seeing the familiar people in the store, no more Santos the Yogurt guy, or Leroy with the big smile, or the guy we called Richard Pryor, and many others who've become friends through the years.

    The new store will be a Treasure Island, an upscale Chicago chain supermarket...

    Eliane, haha, yes it does resemble a billiard table!

    Dan, yes, this is in the same store you went to when you went to school here

    ReplyDelete